Wednesday, February 09, 2011

He Loves Me


So I just finished reading He Loves me by Wayne Jacobsen.  All I can say is "Wow" and give you a couple excerpts from the last few chapters... seriously, please read...

God's kind of love is really the most powerful force in the universe.  No wonder Paul said that to really love as God loves will fulfill every bit of the law without our even trying.  Jesus said the same thing.  "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching" (John 14:23).

I know that can be taken two ways, and for most of my life I've followed the wrong one.  I used to think Jesus was saying if I really loved him I would keep all of his commands, as if my keeping would prove my loving.  But the rest of his actions and teachings make that an untenable interpretation.  What he's saying is that if we get the loving right, the keeping will take care of itself.  Those who love him as they are loved will find themselves following him wherever he leads.  That's also what Paul was saying when he said love will fulfill the whole law.

The difference is critical, for it determines where we'll invest our efforts- in keeping or loving.  We know our best efforts at keeping will never be enough, but the transformation that love brings to our lives will help us live like Jesus in the world....

...So many have misunderstood Jesus' words:  "If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love."  He wasn't saying that we earn his love by keeping his commands, but rather that as we follow him we'll get to live in the fruit of his love.  (think, prodigal son)

His invitation is for us to come and live as loved as we already are.  Take the risk to discover that, and you'll never be disappointed.  He knows best about everything and there is no situation in which he cannot work his glory into your life.  As you watch him do that in your life, it will become much easier to follow him.  Your trust in him will grow and astounding transformations will occur in your life.

- He Loves Me, Wayne Jacobsen, excerpts from pages 173 & 187

But these words could have been written by me.  They speak the sentiments of my heart.

1 comment:

What'cha thinkin?