Praise the LORD! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting.
 The LORD builds up Jerusalem; he gathers the outcasts of Israel.
 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
 He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names.
 Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.
 The LORD lifts up the humble; he casts the wicked to the ground.
 Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving; make melody to our God on the lyre!
 He covers the heavens with clouds; he prepares rain for the earth; he makes grass grow on the hills.
 He gives to the beasts their food, and to the young ravens that cry.
 His delight is not in the strength of the horse, nor his pleasure in the legs of a man,
 but the LORD takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love.
 Praise the LORD, O Jerusalem! Praise your God, O Zion!
 For he strengthens the bars of your gates; he blesses your children within you. He makes peace in your borders; he fills you with the finest of the wheat.
 He sends out his command to the earth; his word runs swiftly.
 He gives snow like wool; he scatters frost like ashes.
 He hurls down his crystals of ice like crumbs; who can stand before his cold?
 He sends out his word, and melts them; he makes his wind blow and the waters flow.
 He declares his word to Jacob, his statutes and rules to Israel.
 He has not dealt thus with any other nation; they do not know his rules. Praise the LORD!
The first thing that stands out to me in this chapter are the four references to Israel, Jacob and Jerusalem. I'm no bible expert, but it would seem that we can interpret those references as God's people, no matter the century; and as God's people living in 2013, those verses refer to us.
So God is in the business of:
- Building up and gathering in his people.
- Healing broken hearts and dressing wounds.
- Raising up the humble.
- Bringing down evil.
- Counting the stars, managing the weather, growing plants, feeding all living creatures.
- Helping his people create strong defense systems.
- Blessing children, both born and unborn.
- Creating a place for peace in your life.
- Proclaiming his word, his way and his will for his people.
- Are we concerned about the state of the Church (big "C", friends- big "C") in America?
- God is building up and gathering in his people.
- Are we heartbroken over senseless murder (in other countries as well as our own)?
- God is healing broken hearts and dressing wounds.
- Are we nervous that the "right" person won't get the position?
- God is raising up the humble.
- Are we disgusted over the never-ending barrage of insanely messed-up news stories?
- God is bringing down evil.
- Are we troubled by the regular occurance of natual disasters? Are we obsessed with saving our planet? Are we discouraged by people who use, use, use and think nothing of their waste? Are we grief-stricken over the billions and billions of hungry children?
- God counts the stars, manages the weather, causes plants to grow, feeds all living creatures*.
Be comforted, friends. It is impossible for God to lie. It is impossible for him to be untrue to himself. His promises are quite literally more reliable than the gold standard.