Monday, January 25, 2010

More Questions and a Conclusion

More Questions: 2. How does God make me righteous? 3.When did God make me righteous? 4. How is the righteousness of God shown in me?

Answer 2: It's pretty clear that God makes me righteous through imputation. See Romans 4 (and probably a whole slew of other NT verses). Ascribing, attributing or crediting something to me that I would not have on my own. Like if my bank account was in the red and my dad deposited some money. Everyone agrees on this, right? 

Answer 3: The question of when God made me righteous begs another question- when did God attribute or impute my sins to Christ? On Calvary, of course. Here are some scriptures for you.

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. 2 Cor 5:21


And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.1 Jn 2:2


But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

So back to the original question, it seems like there could be two different answers- either at the time of the Crucifixion for all people or for me personally when I chose to believe. But in reality, I don't think it makes much difference. It's clear that Jesus' work on the cross was for ALL mankind, so it's really just a matter of me accepting the gift and believing that he is who he says he is... faith in God through Jesus.

Answer 4:  I think the righteousness of God is shown in me by the way I live out my faith in God.  If I have true faith, the righteousness of God will be manifest in my life.  See the book of James for further reading, if you want.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.  Ephesians 2:10

So back to Question 1:  Can I maintain the righteousness of God in me by a specific act or work?

Answer:  No.  But do my acts or works speak to whether the righteousness of God is present in me?  YES!

I would like to present the idea that the author's three ways a Christian can maintain righteousness do not actually serve the purpose of maintaining righteousness, but are simply good works that flow from a heart that has been justified in the eyes of God through the righteousness of Jesus Christ (justification?).  A heart to which righteousness has been imputed because of belief in God who raised Jesus from the dead (imputation?).  A heart that has been made free from sin to become a servant of righteousness (sanctification?).

Your thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I want to say a few things... I haven't had time to read and study you last few posts and I greatly WANT to... I am printing them out now. God bless you for digging, and searching, and writing your thoughts. I know how it feels to pour out thoughts and feelings and have no comments. It's humbling. But thank you for continuing on and studying some more. I have listened and clung to every time Pastor Terry has preached on righteousness or that I have run across it in scripture. And I have thought of you. The main thing I have to say so far is that... There is none righteous, no, not one and any thing of any worth in us is the work of the Holy Spirit. The only thing to make us "more" righteous is to lay our selves down at the cross, admitting that we can never become MORE righteous except through Him. And yes, I agree, communion and confession and prayer are the fruits that flow from a believer who has layed their own self-righteousness down. God bless you and your study, Katie. I loved the highlighted bible... it made me laugh. You are so precise and organized and I have scribbles and exclamation points and A.MEN.'s. God made us differently, but Christ unites us in love!

    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still studying - I keep thinking I am ready to post my thoughts and you have more to look at. I am going to be away from the computer for the next couple of days - so hopefully Friday I can get my thoughts together on this after reading. I am with Joni - God bless you for continuing on in your search.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, you two. It's kind of pathetic how much I need validation.

    I think it's funny that you think I'm organized, Joni. I guess I've definitely got you fooled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now that I am back and want to appologize for just now getting this posted. I want to thank you for these few posts it has gotten me into the word about righteousness and I desire to study it more. I also want to say that my bible knowledge is nill and I have very little tools to work with. I read most of the time out of NIV and then I have a KJV Life application bible that I read the bottom commentary for more clarification some. I don't have any new thoughts really - my study seems to agree with yours from your thoughts above; it seems meaningless to post mine - anyway -Here are my thoughts:

    Quest. 1 - no; only thru faith in Jesus Christ Romans 1:17 and many others as you have already pointed out. In my life app commentary it says - by trusting Christ, our relationship with God is made right.
    Romans 3:22 and Romans 4:13 & 24

    Quest. 2 - Romans 3:26 (have faith; trust God) and I like the reference you gave to 1 Peter 2:24 die to sins and live for righteousness.
    Then I looked at 1 John 3:7 (the middle) He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. My ? here is - What do we do right? [have faith in the blood of Jesus] (is this where the maintenance program the writer of your article is coming from?)

    by faith in the redemptive blood of Jesus we confess our sins with a repentive heart; to be purified from all unrighteousness.

    One thing that I thought interesting in my life app commentary on the ref. you gave on the prayer for the sin we see in others 1 John 5:16-17 - some christians had died because they took of communion unworthily. This brought judgement on them. (this is way off the subject but it caught my attention) and then the commentary refers to 1 Corinthians 11:27-30 if you have a life app bible read the commentary on these few verses in 1 Corinth. It just talks about self examination before partaking of the bread and wine. I guess reading this (I am being super open :/) I myself recently realized that in self examination it was not to mentally list all the sins I had done since my last self examination but to honor the ultimate sacrafice of what Jesus on the cross is for me; recognizing that there is no way that I am worthy to partake of Holy Communion (humbling myself to "we are all sinners saved by grace)without the sacrafice of our Father of His son on the cross. (terribly embarassing to confess that.)

    I guess most of my thought came from your refrences and then the life app commentary on 1 John 5:16-17 and 1 Corinthians 11:28-29 - if you have one read it so I don't have to type it out. Some good thoughts. Anyway, that was off the subject but since I was talking about doing things right. . .

    Quest. 3 - when I accepted Christ. I accept your answer and thoughts on this question as well. Thank you

    Quest. 4 - thru the witness of actions speak louder than words; the way I live my life.

    I like the last post with your presentation on maintaining righteousness - simply good works that flow from the heart . . .

    I like what you pointed out also about Adam condemned all mankind to death but the righteousness of Jesus by his free gift brought life to all. What came to mind here is that Jesus did not come to judge the world but to save it. I like that reminder. :)

    I am not eloquent with words or the order so I am sorry if they are jumbled and hard to follow; and am almost ashamed to put my name to this, but Blessings to you, Katie, for challenging me to read, study and find things on my own.

    Judy

    P.S. - I like the color bible thing too. I had to do mine to see if it would help to see things in the passage a little more quickly.

    ReplyDelete

What'cha thinkin?