Monday, February 25, 2013

Let's Chat

via
 
I so enjoyed reading your comments on the last post about "7". It totally goes to show how God uses our unique perspectives to bring out specific points. And when grouped together, we find that we've covered pretty much the entire spectrum.
 
On Facebook, Marla said, "Someone once told me, 'Worry more about being hospitable than about how clean or neat your house is.' People will remember that you were welcoming more than they will remember what your house looked like!"
 
And Marcia commented, "I think of this when I am deciding whether we can have company .... What is more important- the appearance of the home or the condition of our hearts?"
 
Then here on Blogger, Jill offered the ultimate reminder, "It's not about the stuff and having more - it's about finding true contentment through HIM. We can create a warm, cozy, beautiful, atmosphere for ourselves and our families but we should not be so consumed by it that the only way we can be content is to constantly be getting more stuff. Just more of God! Doesn't make decor or furnishings wrong - just needs to be in the right perspective and budget :)"
 
And Sarah followed up with, "...the right or wrong is in the perspective. I have to shudder just a bit tho as I contemplate another way we as Christians might be judged by other Christians...'They have too much stuff...they can't be Godly!'"
 
As each of your comments pulled through, I again found myself examining my motives and searching my heart. Thanks to each of you who shared your thoughts! I know how easy it is for cyber communication to be misunderstood or mis-heard, especially on a topic as tender as this one.
 
In an effort to examine the thoughts and feelings I had after first watching the video, I went back and watched it again and made a few notes.  The first one I jotted down was this...
 
  • No self-consciousness (at the sparse furnishings), no explaining or excuses
...which speaks to me of thankfulness and grace. A thankful heart has nothing to do with how much one has or even how ideal one's circumstances are. When we acknowledge and understand that all we have and are is from God, we can be thankful for all of it, however much or little it is. Thankfulness ties in with grace as we realize that it is ALL a gift from God that we don't deserve. And truly knowing this in one's heart brings thankfulness even if there are only a few sparse furnishings.

In Christ, we can be content with little or with much, in plenty and in hunger, in abundance and in need.  Because we know that God supplies our every need through Jesus Christ.  And this provision does not come from someone with limited resources, a fixed income or a busy schedule.  He meets our needs according to (in proportion to, after the manner of, in conformity to) His riches in glory!
- Philipians 4:11-13, 19 ESV

“Thanksgiving is the evidence of our acceptance of whatever He gives.  Thanksgiving is the manifestation of our Yes! To His grace.”

“I would never experience the fullness of my salvation until I expressed the fullness of my thanks every day, and eucharisteo is elemental to living the saved life.”
- One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Here's a little challenge for all of us... let's try to host the next event at our home without apologizing for something, anything.  We won't apologize for the way we are dressed, the dust on the coffee table, the toys strewn about, the imperfect meal.  It's our home!  We live here!  Even the simplest meals and furnishings are a gift from God, to be used to serve others and glorify Him.


... to be continued.

1 comment:

  1. love this, Katie! somehow I missed that video you posted earlier. Thanks for breaking it down for us so we can start to apply this!

    ReplyDelete

What'cha thinkin?