Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Interior Refresh for the Budget Challenged

Part Three

#7.  Swap Canisters from Room to Room-  I think I just figured out that my laundry canisters should be in the kitchen, the kitchen ones in the bathroom and the bathroom ones in my office for holding buttons and ribbon and fun stuff like that.  I also figured out that I should spray paint that dejected set of canisters or they'll never leave the closet to which they've been banished.  They happen to be exactly the same color as all the cabinets in our house and never get used because I'm frankly sick and tired of brown, brown, brown, tan, khaki, carmel, you name it.  Here are the canisters I've swapped so far...




I really don't mind the before shots on any of these (and they might actually look better), but I think decor has to jive with the way you live your life.  For example, I realized that it doesn't make sense to have pasta on the countertop when we don't really use it that much and especially when it's so far away from the stove.  It makes more sense to fill the space with something we use every day- teabags and sugar.  Maybe I'll change it for winter, but we're averaging a gallon of tea per day this summer.

#8.  Rethink your Coffee Table-  Clear everything off.  Then put back only what makes sense for you and your family and your life.  The Nester had a great post last week about  accessorizing a coffee table.  Seriously, you should go read it- it has a surprise ending.  Styled coffee tables are fun to look at, but they honestly make no sense unless 1.) you never use the room, 2.) you don't have any kids,  3.) you don't ever have anyone over who has kids and there are probably more but I think it all comes down to how much the room is actually used.  Since we don't have TV and really only use the Living Room for reading, lounging, etc, it makes sense for us to have books, magazines, a few games and some drink coasters.  Don't hold me to this though, tomorrow I might want to add a plant and a pretty bowl.


I love these baskets from Pier 1.  They have many different sizes, most with washable liners.  I've designated one for me, one for him and one for us.  We'll see how long it stays that way.

more to come...

1 comment:

  1. I love your canister swap- I've done this before and was so glad I did! Finding what fits your life can take time...
    Would love to see pics of the ones you painted!

    ReplyDelete

What'cha thinkin?